SAfm

First Take SA

News EN ↓ 8106 episodes

News and Current Affairs

Author

SAfm

Category

News

Podcast website

www.sabc.co.za

Latest episode

Jul 10, 2026

Where to listen?

Podcasts in the app Replaio Radio Coming soon

Podcasts are coming to the app soon. Install now and be the first to see a whole new take on podcasts

Get it on Google Play Install for free Android almost 10M downloads · 4.8 rating iOS soon

Episodes

Renewed calls for schools to close as grade 3 and 10 learners expected back in class this morning 20.07.2020

With grade 3 and 10 learners expected back in class this morning, the ANC says the re-opening of schools should follow the guidelines set out by the World Health Organisation. Basic education minister Angie Motshekga met with her cabinet colleagues yesterday following renewed calls to close schools amid the spike in Covid-19 infections in the country. Last week Motshekga met with teacher unions an...

Hospitality and leisure sector have warned insurance companies of sustained legal action due to Covid-19 related claims 20.07.2020

Business owners in the hospitality and leisure sector have warned insurance companies of sustained legal action over the failure to pay out valid COVID-19 related claims. These businesses include fast-food franchises, game lodges, restaurants and hotel groups that have had to shed thousands of jobs over the national lockdown period. Spokesperson for the Hospitality, Entertainment and Leisure Indus...

268-thousand people to receive a warm nutritious cup of soup on Mandela Day 17.07.2020

Three-hundred Chefs in 10 cities across the country are embarking on a Mandela Day initiative that seeks to make 67-thousand litres of healthy nutritious soup using surplus rescued produce. The initiative is a joint-venture between SA Harvest and non-profit organisation, Chefs with Compassion. SA Harvest says it is shocking that 18-Million women and children go to bed hungry in South Africa althou...

UIF says more than 2,000 SA's performing artists have received relief funds from the department of arts & culture 17.07.2020

According to the UIF more than 2,000 SA's performing artists have received relief funds from the department of arts & culture for gigs cancelled during the lockdown, others complain of being left out in the cold. Musicians such as Arthur Mafokate, Kelly Khumalo, Caiphus Semenya poet laureate Wally Serote - are listed as having received once-off payments of between R10,000 and R20,000 to help them...

COSAS in Mpumalanga embarks on shutting down public schools 16.07.2020

The Congress of the South African Students (COSAS) in Mpumalanga has resolved to embark on a process of shutting down all public schools in the province TODAY. This as calls for schools to close down in order to curb the spread of the coronavirus are increasing countrywide. The call for the shutdown of schools is being supported by among others SADTU, SASCO, the YCL and the One South Africa Moveme...

The coronavirus pandemic is taking its toll on people's mental health 16.07.2020

The coronavirus pandemic has plunged South Africans and many others across the world into a lot of uncertainty. This as daily reports of Covid-19 infections and deaths surge both locally and globally. Millions of people have also lost their incomes, livelihoods and many more are going hungry. The reimposition of the alcohol ban and night curfew has made an already bad situation worse. All this is...

A Russian vaccine against COVID-19 could be ready for its final stage of testing as early as August 14.07.2020

A Russian vaccine against COVID-19 could be ready for its final stage of testing as early as August, according to the head of the centre carrying out the trials. Russia's Sechenov University says the first trials are over and the vaccine has been shown to be safe. But more tests are needed before it can be put to use. Retired epidemiologist, Dr Jo Barnes weighs in on these tests...

The 2019/2020 ABSA Premiership completion will be held in Gauteng, despite province being Coronavirus epicentre 14.07.2020

Despite being the epicentre of the Coronavirus pandemic in South Africa, Gauteng is the National Soccer League's preferred province for the completion of the ABSA Premiership and the GladAfrica Championship. This was announced by Premier Soccer League chaiarman, Irvin Khoza, at a media briefing in Johannesburg. He provided clarity on the process and progress made towards the completion of the 2019...

Analysis and views on the latest move by President Cyril Ramaphosa and the NCC 13.07.2020

In a further blow to the hospitality and tourism sector, the sale, dispensing and distribution of alcohol has been suspended with immediate effect. Addressing the nation President Ramaphosa said the nationwide curfew coupled with the ban on the sale of alcohol will free up much-needed trauma and ICU care facilities across the country. The tourism industry had also been hoping for the re-opening of...

Western Cape residents warned of intense cold front to hit the province today 13.07.2020

Western Cape Disaster Management has warned that the upcoming cold front could be the biggest storm that the province has been hit within recent times. This follows a warning by the South African Weather Services of an intense cold front that is expected to make landfall TODAY, bringing with it gale force winds of up to a 100 kilometres per hour. Storm surges and wave heights of up to 13-metres al...

THE WEEKEND VIEW PUTS THE SPOTLIGHT ON CHILD ABUSE 12.07.2020

News and Current Affairs show between 5 & 6 am on SAfm 104 to 107 anchored by Tsepiso Makwetla

SOLOMZI NICHOLAS NQWENI ON ROAD TO RECOVERY 12.07.2020

News and Current Affairs show between 5 & 6 am on SAfm 104 to 107 anchored by Tsepiso Makwetla

CRICKET ANALYST LUNGA KUPISO ON TRANSFORMATION IN SA CRICKET 12.07.2020

News and Current Affairs show between 5 & 6 am on SAfm 104 to 107 anchored by Tsepiso Makwetla

More than 800 evictions have taken place since the country entered the coronavirus lockdown 09.07.2020

The Socio-Economic Rights Institute of South Africa (SERI) says more than 800 evictions have taken place since the country entered into the national coronavirus lockdown. The most recent of these cases involves Bulelani Qholani from Khayelitsha township in Cape Town. He was violently dragged out of his shack naked as the Cape Town Anti-Land Invasion unit demolished his shack. This resulted in a hu...

The Zondo Commission of Inquiry has spent about R700 million since its inception in 2018 09.07.2020

The Zondo Commission of Inquiry investigating allegations of state capture has spent about 700 million rand since its inception in 2018. This was revealed by the Department of Justice during its briefing to the oversight committee yesterday (Wednesday) when it was presenting its budget. Acting Director-General, Adv JB Skosana says about 18 million rand per month is spent on investigations. Is this...

Gauteng has officially overtaken the Western Cape as the epicentre in the country of the coronavirus pandemic 09.07.2020

Gauteng has officially overtaken the Western Cape as the epicentre in the country of the coronavirus pandemic with 75,015 cases compared with the Western Cape's 73,292. The cumulative number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in SA is 224,665 with 8,810 new infections. Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said the COVID-19 storm that he's been warning South Africans about had arrived. Professor Wolfgang Preiser,...

More than five hundred workers at Media24, are likely to lose their jobs in the coming weeks 08.07.2020

More than five hundred workers at industry giant, Media24, are likely to lose their jobs in the coming weeks. The company has announced that it is considering down-sizing, as a result of the impact of C0VID-19. The organisation says it could close five magazines and two newspapers and reduce the frequency of its remaining monthly magazines due to a drastic drop in sales since the start of the lock...

Some parents and learners concerned over Grades R, 6 and 11 returning to school today 06.07.2020

Some parents and learners say it is not a good idea that Basic Education Minister, Angie Motshekga is phasing in more grades from today. They say with more learners going back to school, exposure to the coronavirus is very high. They say some schools do not have enough space to adhere to the COVID-19 regulations. Yesterday, Motshekga announced that grades R, 6 and 11 will go back to school. CEO of...

The Gauteng government considers stricter enforcement of lockdown regulations 06.07.2020

The Gauteng government convened a meeting over the weekend to draft proposals to the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) to allow for stricter enforcement of lockdown regulations. This in an attempt to curb the soaring Covid-19 numbers in the province. The meeting came as the SA Medical Association, SAMA, claimed that Ekurhuleni and Johannesburg hospitals have the lowest number of Covid-19...

Basic Education Department has blamed its failure to provide meals to over nine million learners nationwide on logistics 03.07.2020

The Basic Education Department has blamed its failure to provide meals to over nine million learners nationwide on logistics and lack of infrastructure. Equal Education approached the Pretoria High Court on an urgent basis to seek an order to compel government to provide meals to learners, regardless of whether they have returned to school or not. The programme which feeds nine million learners wa...

Gauteng Premier David Makhura calls for a harder lock-down amidst spike in Covid-19 infections 03.07.2020

While President Cyril Ramaphosa urges South Africans not to panic as COVID 19 infections rise rapidly -- some are calling for a return to higher levels of lockdown. South Africa has registered its highest number of infections to date within a 24-hour cycle. The number of confirmed cases has risen by over eight-thousand, bringing the national total to nearly 159-thousand-400. The number of COVID19-...

Four unions at the South African Airways have agreed to sign the voluntary severance packages 03.07.2020

Four unions at the South African Airways have agreed to sign the voluntary severance packages offered as part of the national carrier's business rescue process. The Department of Public Enterprises announced yesterday that the South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (SATAWU), the National Transport Movement, the Aviation Union of Southern Africa, Solidarity and representatives of non-unio...

Lack of accountability a serious driver of corruption in local government - Public Service Accountability Monitor 02.07.2020

Auditor General Kimi Makwetu has pointed that only 20 of the country's 257 municipalities received clean audits. Makwetu has blamed municipalities failure to adhere to prescribed regulations for the increase in irregular spending.

Medical general practitioners and private sector specialists feeling the financial pressure as numbers of patients dip 02.07.2020

As millions of South Africans continue to bear the brunt of the of the Covid-19 economic lockdown, many medical general practitioners and private sector specialists are also feeling the financial pressure as numbers of patients in their practices decline. This is due clients' fear of contacting the coronavirus and limitations on hospital admissions and surgical procedures. Major representative org...

Municipalities lost 32-billion-rand in irregular expenditure. 02.07.2020

The Auditor General, Kimi Makwetu's report for 2018-19 has found that municipalities lost 32-billion-rand in irregular expenditure. This is an increase of 7-billion-Rand from the previous financial year. Makwetu says there continues to be a lack of financial management, accountability and wasteful spending among a number of municipalities in most the country's provinces. Makwetu was presenting the...

Listen to the First Take SA podcast in Replaio

Radio and podcasts in one app - free, with no sign-up. Install today and do not miss the launch

Get it on Google Play

Replaio is not a podcast publisher; show names, artwork and audio belong to their authors and are distributed through public RSS feeds.